- Dark: Mum’s moving. I crack open an eye. Walk? Go to the closet for your runners. Yes! She cocks her head at the door. I get up and stretch. We tiptoe out of the room so we don’t wake Dad.
- Dawn: Mum tells me to do my business while she laces her runners. Who does she think I am, a dog?
- Mum’s humming that Dog Walk Song again. Great, now I have it stuck in my head. I don’t get the fire hydrant thing at all. We have one in front of the house and it is no fun. It doesn’t do anything when I bark at it. I can’t chase it. No fun at all.
- We’re back. Mum gets me fresh water then gets some for herself. At least her priorities are right. She dumps a scoop of dry stuff in my bowl. This is all I get? Tank’s mum cooks his breakfast! I sit and look pointedly at the refrigerator. I know she saved drippings from last night’s chicken for me. She laughs but warms up the drippings for me. Good Mum.
- She takes her coffee and goes upstairs. I better follow.
- Ah-ha. She’s at the computer. Tap. Tap. Tap. I curl up next to her feet. The two-legged pups are still quiet. I can get a couple minutes of quiet.
- Something crashes downstairs. I go investigate. Sniff. The two-legged pups eat this stuff? I make my rounds and get pets from everyone. #1 pup yells at #2 pup. Sigh. I wish I could tell time. When do they leave? Oh, here comes Mum.
- I sit and hold up the end of the sofa while chaos ensues. Crazy pups.
- There’s Dad. I wiggle-walk over to him. My tail is wagging so fast I’m walking sideways. He makes funny sounds at me. Silly Dad.
- Dad lectures the pups and leaves. Mum leaves. I don’t like this new thing she calls a job.
- The pups leave. I check the house. The rodents are quiet. Mornings are exhausting. Nap time.
- Mum! I jump and twist and she tries to pet me. I missed you! Wait. Sniff. What’s this smell on you? Sniff. Sniff. Did you pick it up at that job thing? I don’t like it. Lick. But I’m too happy to see you to worry about it today. Lick.
- Mum decides the road isn’t too hot so we walk down to the bus stop to meet the pups. I’m such a good girl. I sit pretty. Oh, here comes the bus. I stand, tail wagging. Puppies, you’re back!
- The pups and I chase each other and play fetch. We roll around on the floor. They share their snacks with me. Good pups.
- Mum gets the pups doing homework and starts making dinner. I lay in the middle of the kitchen floor where it’s cool. Mum laughs and says I look like a bear rug.
- Dad’s back! Lick. He talks silly talk to me. Lick. We play fetch. Dad’s better at the game than the pups.
- Dinner. More dry stuff for me. Blah. Dad sneaks me a bite. Yum.
- Twilight: Mum and I sit outside in the cool breeze. She tells me what a good girl I am and gives me loves.
- Dark: Dad sends pups to bed. Mum, Dad, and I go to bed. I rest my head on Mum’s leg. Walk again tomorrow? She pets my head. Sigh. Life is good.
09 Oct 2012 9 Comments
27 Oct 2011 13 Comments
in Personal, Videos Tags: animals, blog, blogging, childhood, Daughter of Mine, Dog Walk, dogs, exercise, family, Muppets, music, Paul Tracey, Raelyn Barclay, ROW80, Something Else, Spike Milligan, television, The Muppet Show, The Ugly Song, TV, videos, writers, writing
Where to start with this post?
Shorter days equal dark, very dark mornings. Our neighborhood doesn’t have streetlights, just the carriage lights on garages, to light the way. Which will only get worse when we “fall back” an hour. So my dog walking has been happening later each morning.
My preferred new word writing is in the dark and early (D&E). So, with ROW80 to inspire me, I’ve switched things up. FIRST writing THEN taking the dog out for her walk SECOND. As long as insomnia stays away, it is working like a charm.
Doing the walk after writing, however, has left my mind strangely open to…well…randomness. And the Dog Walk song.
The song is at 3:55 though the entire episode (1/3, this one, and 3/3) are worth the watch. Classic Muppets
When I take my dog for a walk, he takes me for a run,
dragging me along the street is his idea of fun.
From lamp post to lamp post, we jog along the street,
from tree to tree to fire hydrant, look out lady watch your feet.
~ Dog Walk by Paul Tracey
Long before I ever saw this episode of The Muppet Show, I heard the song. Good family friends had the original album and I have fond memories of singing along with it. At one time I had a cassette (remember those? LOL) copy of the album but that’s been lost over the years.
I went on quite the search. At first I couldn’t remember the artist’s name. Then I happened on something that set the bells off…the artist, Paul Tracey, wrote songs for the original Jim Henson Muppets…and supposedly there was a skit of the Dog Walk. I hunted high and low for that video! And in that hunt came across other videos and Paul Tracey’s website…score!
More time than I should have dedicated to something so random. But now I can share it with you The entire Something Else album is full of gems like The Ugly Song –
I’m ugly, I’m ugly as sin,
but beautiful’s out, ugly’s in.
If you’re ugly like me, you’re in good company.
There are millions of us who are ugly.
~ The Ugly Song by Paul Tracey
and Daughter of Mine –
But I’m so lucky, I’ve time on my side.
So many years before you’re a bride.
And until the day that I give you away,
I’m still the man in your life.
~ Daughter of Mine by Paul Tracey
That family friend I mentioned, sang this to his daughter at her wedding…I get tears in my eyes every time I hear it.
Imagine my absolute joy when I realized I can get his original LP as a CD (#11 on his site)! Yeah, I ordered it. The wee beasties will probably get sick of my playing it.
Now, who (besides me) feels old and remembers those classic Muppet Shows?