Ace of Cups, Beach Boys, brainstorming, Cancer, character development, Court Cards, elements, Joanna Powell Colbert, Knight of Cups, Knight of Pentacles, Meet the Cards, Minor Arcana, numbers, numerology, Pisces, plotting, Prince of Cups, Raelyn Barclay, Scorpio, tarot, Water, writers, writing
What I See:
I imagine surfers have to be in the moment, something I don’t generally associate with Water. Yet there is definitely a sense of being one with the element. He even has a dolphin swimming at his side which, according to the book, represents balance and harmony.
On the other hand, Water is the emotional element so I imagine he’s very in tune with his feelings and spirituality and creativity. I’m also guessing he’s an adrenaline junky. He pushes his boundaries, or limits. A rather heady combo.
General Water element/Cups suit:
Please refer back to the Ace of Water
Light (upright) Reading:
Others are drawn toward your inner joy.
- Keywords: Creative, Chivalrous, Romantic, Gallant, or Charming.
Shadow (upside down or reverse) Reading:
Beware of boundaries, respect others’ and establish yours.
- Keywords: Flighty, Impractical, Escapism, Illusionary, or Addictions.
Exploring a new sport. A surfing competition? The book says, “dances on Mama Gaia’s belly,” perhaps there is a story in that phrase.
How about a shape-shifter tale? Or a marine biologist? Perhaps an adventure upon the seas. A cruise? A shipboard murder mystery, or a romance. Maybe your setting is on islands. Or your MC ran away to, is stranded on, an island?
Or maybe your focus is the emotional aspect of Water, a rescue? A quest? Or the creative such as a poet? Perhaps a musician.
Perhaps getting lost in fantasy. Escapism? Or maybe, bring the fantasy to life. How about a dreamer?
- Explorer Themes: Energy, Passion, Motion Towards Goal, Intention, Focus, Single-mindedness, Idealism, Vitality, or Lust for Life.
Tarot for Writers by Corrine Kenner talks about the Knight of Cups being a romantic hero. A love ’em and leave ’em type. Perhaps a story where your MC meets their match.
“I am riding the deep waves of joy and peace in my life.” – Joanna Powell Colbert
- Suit Archetype/Feudal Class: Clergy and Priestly class.
MBTI: ENFP (Extroverted Intuitive Feeling Perceiving)
The nine-point personality enneagram can also be useful for character building.
Explorers/Knights/Princes are E7: Epicure, Enthusiast, Visionary, Dream, and/or Generalist
- Self Image — I am happy
- Passion — Gluttony, Over-indulgence, or Charlatanry
- Virtue — Sobriety
- Narcissistic Trap — Idealism
- Avoids — Pain
- Speaking Style — Garrulous or Story-telling
E7 people are ruled by their head. They need to understand the pattern of events, where all the pieces fit in the puzzle of life, and are often detached from their emotions. Their objectivity may hide feelings of isolation or confusion.
Additionally, look up one of the Water signs (Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces) for personality traits.
- Careers: The Arts, Higher Education, Organizational and Personal Development, Public Relations, Catering, Film and Television, Bartender, Hospitality, Musician, and Song-Writer/Poet.
- Recreation: Dancing, Gymnastics, Surfing, Ananda Yoga, Tai Chi, and Anything playful which nourishes the body.
For more information on the Explorers in general, please refer back Explorer of Earth.
Image: Gaian Tarot by Joanna Powell Colbert from Llewellyn Worldwide