Ace of Cups, brainstorming, Cancer, character development, Corrine Kenner, Court Cards, elements, Joanna Powell Colbert, Meet the Cards, Minor Arcana, numbers, numerology, Pisces, plotting, Queen of Cups, Queen of Swords, Raelyn Barclay, recommended reads, Scorpio, tarot, Tarot for Writers, Water, writers, writing
What I See:
My first thought…mermaid. She looks like she’s beckoning. I imagine she’s saying, “The water is fine. Don’t worry, I’m right here and won’t let anything bad happen.” I see a teacher or guide in that. But I also hear the siren’s call. According to the book, the sea turtle represents “peace, longevity, and the ability to find our way home.” Water is the emotional element but it’s hard not to think about the cleansing and nourishing aspects as well. Queens are the mature woman, the mothers and grandmothers.
General Water element/Cups suit:
Please refer back to the Ace of Water
Light (upright) Reading:
Trust in your intuition.
- Keywords: Receptiveness, Caring, Nurturing, Empathy, or Musing.
Shadow (upside down or reverse) Reading:
Beware of personal troubles spilling over onto others.
- Keywords: Hypersensitivity, Fluctuating Moods, Irrational, Manipulation, or Self-Pity.
A mermaid, or perhaps Selkie, tale? Perhaps being stranded on an island and living off the sea? Or any sea/ocean related story…pirates, Navy, alien planet. Living on the seashore? Or maybe a swim teacher? Lifeguard?
She looks like she’s squatting, almost like she’s going to give birth in the water, perhaps a first-time mother or midwife. Or perhaps the helicopter mum, smothering her children?
Queens are Water with Water, perhaps an oracle (in the traditional sense) or an empath?
Tarot for Writers by Corrine Kenner talks about the Queen of Cups representing the perfect wife and mother, and I can’t help but picture a Stepford Wives type story.
- Guardian Themes: Understanding, Persuasion, Communication, Teaching, Nurturing, Emotional Awareness, Creativity, Intuition, or Leadership.
“I trust the waters of love and compassion flowing from my heart.” ~Joanna Powell Colbert
- Suit Archetype/Feudal Class: Clergy and Priestly class.
MBTI: INFJ (Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging)
The nine-point personality enneagram can also be useful for character building.
Guardians/Queens are E4: Tragic Romantic, Individualist, and/or Connoisseur
- Self Image — I am different
- Passion — Envy
- Virtue — Equanimity
- Narcissistic Trap — Authenticity
- Avoids — Ordinariness
- Speaking Style — Lyrical or Lamenting
E4 people are relationship oriented. They are concerned with what others think of them, image and prestige. They see themselves as being for others and often believe they know what’s best. They dislike being alone and may feel sad or inadequate.
Additionally, look up one of the Water signs (Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces) for personality traits.
- Careers: Psychic, Healer, Nurse/Medical Assistance, Arts and Crafts, Interior Decorator, Designer, Social Worker, Counselor/Therapist, Chef, and Acting.
- Recreation: Swimming, Tantra Yoga, Pilates, Running, Rowing, and Anything to help one flow with life.
For more information on the Guardians in general, please refer back Guardian of Air.
Image: Gaian Tarot by Joanna Powell Colbert from Llewellyn Worldwide