Ace of Wands, Aries, brainstorming, character development, Corrine Kenner, Court Cards, elements, Fire, King of Wands, Leo, Meet the Cards, Minor Arcana, numbers, numerology, plotting, Raelyn Barclay, recommended reads, Sagittarius, tarot, Tarot Elements, Tarot for Writers, writers, writing
Generally, all Kings:
- Wisdom, Giving Counsel.
- Express the Air aspect of their suit, or element.
- Correspond to the Sixes.
- Symbolize the outer/public master, or decision maker.
- Serve as administer or conserver.
- For additional info on the Elders check out Tarot Elements’ post: Kings
What I See:
There is so much going on in this image. We have the flowers that look like flames. There are sculls and bottles of mysterious things. We see pictures sitting on the table behind her, almost like an altar. And she appears to be holding burning incense or something. First thought? Witch. Voodoo priestess. But maybe she’s just celebrating the Day of the Dead. She could be a shaman or healer too. I definitely get a sense of wisdom. And challenge. It feels like she’s looking right into my soul.
General Fire element/Wands suit:
Please refer back to the Ace of Fire
Light (upright) Reading:
Use your gifts to facilitate change.
- Keywords: Warmth, Generosity, Nobility, Strength, or Leadership.
Shadow (upside down or reverse) Reading:
Beware of being pushy or arrogant.
- Keywords: Arrogance, Vanity, Tyranny, Haughtiness, or Egotism.
Perhaps a Day of the Dead or All Saints celebration? How about a roadside tribute to a victim? Maybe holding a vigil?
A fire ceremony? Maybe a Voodoo or Wicca tale. Perhaps a tarot reader? Perhaps she is the gateway to another plane.
With Wands centering on spiritual and career matters, perhaps a charismatic leader? An entrepreneur? Or maybe hard work/study?
Or explore the flip side, what about a power hungry leader or CEO?
- Elder Themes: Competence, Authority, Respect, Decision Making, Mastery, Leadership, or Prowess.
In Tarot for Writers, Corrine Kenner describes the King of Wands as “fair, noble, just, courageous, and romantic.” She goes on to say he has a good sense of humor and likes to play Devil’s Advocate. Perhaps a story about justice or defending honor or practical jokes or arguing for the sake of argument?
“I am at home in all the worlds or power and transformation.” ~Joanna Powell Colbert
- Suit Archetype/Feudal Class: Peasant or Servant Class.
MBTI: ENTJ (Extroverted Intuitive Thinking Judging)
The nine-point personality enneagram can also be useful for character building.
Elders/Kings are E1: Perfectionist and/or Reformer
- Self Image — I am right
- Passion — Anger
- Virtue — Serenity
- Narcissistic Trap — Perfection
- Avoids — Vexation
- Speaking Style — Teaching or Moralizing
E1 people are instinctive, spontaneous, and intuitive. Their “gut” feeling is the center of their awareness. They are often direct or territorial. They are concerned with power, ruled by aggression, and may be troubled by self-doubt or self-blame.
Additionally, look up one of the Fire signs (Aries, Leo, Sagittarius) for personality traits.
- Careers: Actor, Entrepreneur, Cardiologist, Director, General Manager, Master of Ceremonies/Host. Publicist, Marketer, Spokesperson, Politician, and Professor.
- Recreation: Cardio, Boxing, Martial Arts, Tennis, Basketball, and Anything rigorous that shows off what they do best.
Image: Gaian Tarot by Joanna Powell Colbert from Llewellyn Worldwide