Blake Snyder, blog, blogging, challenges, dogs, exercise, Facebook, goals, Goodreads, health, Mary K Greer, plotting, Raelyn Barclay, readers, reading, recommended reads, ROW80, Save the Cat, Scrivener, tarot, Twitter, Who Are You in the Tarot, writers, writing
Last week I mentioned in the comments that I plotted the Steampunk story based on a 3 Act — 9 Block — 27 Chapter template. There was some interest in what exactly this was.
I use Scrivener and I’m always searching out new ways to work within the program. That is exactly how I stumbled upon this method of plotting.
(She has a couple other videos detailing this further.)
I like that each chapter is named with the main action that should be shown in the chapter. I overlaid the Beats from Save the Cat by Blake Snyder which hopefully will give my plotting that extra layer.
My real challenge is that I have always felt my characters become flat when I plot yet when I write by the seat of my pants my story sucks. So I’m attempting to use the plot for the story while pantsting the characters. I just hope I can pull this off and do justice to this story.
What do you think about the 3 Act — 9 Block — 27 Chapter method?
- I have once again registered on Goodreads to read 100 books. However, this may change as I plan to put writing before reading this year.
- Lose 50 pounds. I slacked off the last part of 2013, ’nuff said. – Tracking this is pending the purchase of a new scale.
Quarterly (AKA ROW80) Goals
- Draft and Edit the Steampunk story I attempted for NaNo 2013. Oh, and figure out a title.
- Rough goal of drafting 6 chapters per week in January. – Not attained this week.
- Rough goal of editing 6 chapters per week in February.
- With an aim to get out to Beta Readers in March.
- Read, at least, one paper book. With the ease of carrying my eReaders around my poor paper books have been neglected. – Still pending.
- At least, one date night with That Man. – Still pending.
- Spend a minimum of 3 hours per week on writing. – Target attained.
- Maintain 3 blog posts per week. – Target attained.
- Visit and comment on at least 12 blogs per week, 3 of which HAVE to be ROW80 blogs. – Target attained with 28 blog comments (8 were ROW80).
- Connect on Facebook and Twitter with, at least, one non-blog post or share per week. – Target attained on Facebook, I’m not sure about Twitter.
- Maintain books read on Goodreads. – N/A, I only read a beta this week.
- Exercise 3 times per week. – Not attained. I have to reestablish my yoga space post Christmas and Beastie Girl wasn’t having anything to do with a D&E walk due to the temperature. Apparently, when your hair isn’t even half an inch long walks in 40 degree weather isn’t high on the priority list. Who was I to argue.
You can find and support other ROWers HERE.