12 Years a Slave, Academy Awards, BAFTA, Bette Midler, blog, blogging, Blue Jasmine, Cate Blanchett, Dallas Buyers Club, Ellen DeGeneres, family, Gravity, Jared Leto, Lupita Nyong'o, Matthew McConaughey, movies, Ocsars, Philomena, Raelyn Barclay, Somewhere in Time, top 10 list, TV, Wind Beneath My Wings
We DID watch the Oscars. In fact, we had a rather unique opportunity this year in that the majority of the nominated movies circulated through my office in the weeks leading up to Sunday night’s show.
So, here goes:
- We thought Ellen DeGeneres did a pretty good job of hosting the Academy Awards. The wee beasties especially enjoyed the whole pizza delivery thing.
- We agreed on Jared Leto for Best Supporting Actor.
- We agreed on Matthew McConaughey for Best Leading Actor.
- We agreed on Lupita Nyong’o for Best Supporting Actress.
- I never got around to watching Blue Jasmine so can’t speak to Cate Blanchett for Best Lead Actress, though I do like her in general.
- We were thrilled 12 Years a Slave won Best Picture.
- After watching the BAFTA show I want to watch Philomena and I thought it was cool that the real lady was in the audience.
- UGH on the number of wins Gravity took home. Don’t get me wrong, we enjoyed the movie but not to that level.
- There’s interest now to watch Dallas Buyers Club now that the males in my house understand a bit more about the story. I guess reading the back of the DVD wasn’t enough.
- The “In Memoriam” always gets me. Using the song from Somewhere in Time choked me up. I appreciated Bette Midler preforming Wind Beneath My Wings though her voice isn’t what it used to be.
Did you watch the Oscars?